Thursday, November 24, 2011

Iron baluster installation Founders Bridge Midlothian Va. The Brazukas Job.

I received a call from the Brazukas family in the prestigious Founders Bridge Subdivision in Midlothian Virginia. Mr. Brazukas intially just wanted a quote over the phone for the iron baluster installation but I make a policy of never giving estimates over the phone because I have learned from experience that I rarely land the job without first meeting with customer to discuss their needs and present them with samples of our iron balusters, a full color catalog so they know exactly what they are getting and exactly what the job entails.
I met with the Brazukas family and they immediately took a liking to the Basket and Twist Iron baluster series in oil rubbed copper, a popular choice. Mrs Brazukas came up with her own iron baluster design for the staircase using the stair tool and even had it printed out for me before I started the job.



Use of Iron baluasters
Iron baluster design made by homeowner.




The stair pro design tool from the house of forgings is really great and helps customers get an idea of what their stairs will  look like after the wrought iron balusters are installed. When using the stair design tool Mrs.Brazukas did notice out that the number of balusters on the stair treads in the design tool is three but her staircase only has two. I pointed out that this does not effect the "flow" of the iron baluster pattern.

Now that the Brazukas family had reached a decision on their pattern and type of  Iron balusters I placed an order with my supplier. The order arrived three days later and in pristine condition that's what I like most about my supplier I always get the iron balusters within 3-4 days and they always come in perfect condition. I've tried most iron baluster manufacturers and the House of Forgings seem to be the best for selection, quality, price and shipping ( the iron balusters are packed very well for transport).

I organized an installation date with Mrs.Brazukas she was eager to get her iron balusters installed before Thanksgiving and I was more than happy to accommodate this. I began by moving rugs and tables and other items away from stairs and  and then I took my usual round of  before photographs before I removed the wooden balusters.


before the baluster install

Mrs. Brazukas was soon very pleased to find out that the removal of the wooden balusters on the staircase was much less hassle and a lot cleaner than she had anticipated. I removed the wooden balusters using a reciprocating saw by cutting them at their thinnest part and then breaking them and easing them out of the stair railing and stair treads creating a minimum amount of dust that can be cleaned up in no time at all. I then removed all of the remaining pieces of wood baluster, brad nails. I then checked all of the holes to make sure they were at the correct depth if they were not I drilled and filled as needed cleaning up as I go along, customers love when I produce my shop vac :)


Before and after stair remodel

The Brazukas had four separate runs of stair rail, one on the first floor leading to the second floor landing where there was had three sections one small run at the top of the stairs, another leading to the third floor and one longer run overlooking to the foyer.

wooden balusters on landing

The balusters on the knee wall leading to the third floor require a little more work to install as do the balusters on the open staircases in comparison to straight runs of stair rail.


removing wood spindles


About the install,I cut all of the iron balusters to length using a portable band saw it's basically an electrical hacksaw and it makes light work of cutting these solid pieces or wrought iron. Power tools definitely make the job of installing wrought iron balusters easier but any work involving stairs in general means a degree of complexity and hard work. I dry fit everything before attaching the iron balusters using a two part epoxy that is mixed in a tube and dispenser. This epoxy hardens to an opaque white color in about 15 minutes. I attach the balusters in sections and come back and remove most of the excess epoxy, although if you look you will still notice some as your eye is drawn to these areas during the installation but this is a necessary evil if you will. I guarantee if fresh eyes were to gaze upon the finished install they will not notice it!


iron balusters in entrance of home

The Brazukas Family are extremely please with the new look of their staircase. Their stair railing is stronger and more beautiful than before. Mrs Brazukas daughter has described it as a whole new house because of the new iron balusters and Mrs.Brazukas said it was really a Christmas gift.




Stair Turnout
I was glad to get the work and thank the Brazukas family for it.Our estimates are free please call Brian (804)591-9869 Today!
Iron balusters on knee wall
You can see all of the iron baluster images on my flickr account iron balusters
iron balusters foundersbridge midlothian va
Finished iron balusters on balcony.

Foundersbridge Midlothian Va
Wrought iron balusters on small stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment